Killer Monay

Unleash the monster within...

She was one of the few people I know to have a genuinely sweet smile. She barely complained about anything. Very simple. Barely noticed. Just an ordinary girl in her sweet sixteen. When we visited my mother's province last summer, she decided to tag along on our way home to Makati. She stayed in my aunt's house for therapy and for next year's college enrollment. She couldn't stay with us because some of my cousins weren't very considerate. They might ask her to take care of their children, thus, the possibility of worsening her situation.

I gave her a few clothes, the ones that I bought before I got married. My aunt said she was so happy to have them and she was very, very thankful. She even set a few shirts aside because she wanted to use them for special occasions.


It was mid-July, I think, when she, together with my aunt, went  to visit our house. I can still remember, I was in a hurry to school. She was lying down on the couch with my aunt whose face seemed to be to engrossed in telling a story. "Probably gossiping again with my mother, " I thought to myself and went off. That was the last time I saw her. 

Her name was Jerica. 

That day she was confined in PGH. She barely spent a week there when her condition went from bad to worse. A few days later she was ready to go back home...

The family was so heart-broken that month. We lost Kuya Banjo exactly a week before Jerica passed away. I didn't cry when I heard the sad news. I went to our bedroom and opened the white hanging cabinet. I should have given the clothes earlier. I noticed how the cloth-lines seem to dangle at the middle. I had so many clothes folded, waiting in vain for me to lose weight and wear them again... I could have made her happier even for a few weeks... I'm sorry... I didn't know... I noticed the colorful blur in my eyes getting bigger and bigger. I rubbed my eyes to see better but it just keeps getting watery...

She told one doctor, "Doc, gusto ko pong gumaling. Mag-aaral po ako. Gusto ko pong maging teacher."

Like a comet blazing across the evening sky... gone too soon...


It reminded me how my cousins look up to me. A teacher... She could have made a great teacher. But then again, we'll never know... We'll never know...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

Random things that my mouth can't write.

About Me

Powered By Blogger

Read by

Hello to you!

Followers